I have to be honest, I am not good at cooking. I try, I want to believe that I am getting better, but my husband probably has a different opinion. Even so, cooking with our two children is something we do quite often. He bakes, I cook.
Sometimes, preparing food with the children is very hard, Noah doesn’t like to have messy hands (he never has) and Lily loves getting everything messy everywhere. Although the combination of the two makes a perfect mix, their ages are quite different (2 & 5 year olds), so I try to choose recipes they can easily make themselves and fit their abilities and age. Here are some foods I like to prepare with them:
1. Make your own Pizza: We normally make our own dough (it is really yummy!), but on some lazy days we use this recipe for pita pizza. If you don’t have a pita bread, you can always do it on a tortilla, a naan bread or half of an english muffin. Tip: for spreading the tomato we use a kitchen brush – it’s like painting the dough!!!
2. Eggless Banana Muffins: Right…mayonnaise… Well, at the beginning I also thought “yuck!”, but it turns out that it is a really easy recipe, no eggs involved and it is delicious. If you don’t believe me, give it a try! Tip: The chocolate chips are not really optional, they are a must!
3. Easy Hummus: Let them dump all the ingredients in the blender and push the button. Can’t get easier than that and it is super tasty!
4. Fruity Fun Skewers: just get some of your children's favourite fruits on a stick. It is fun, delicious and it will help developing your little one’s fine motor skills. Can’t get better! Tip: need some dip? Use vanilla yogurt!
5. Grandma’s Ginger Cookies: Now with the fall coming we have started making one of our favourites. The children love adding the ingredients and making little balls from the mixture like it were play dough. On top of that, they are delicious! Tip: after baking them, spread some sugar on the top!
6. Breakfast Wraps. Put some ingredients on a table and let the children choose what they want in their wraps. Easy, fun and delicious breakfast. Tip: An extra side of fruit skewer makes a very nutritious breakfast!
What are your go-to recipes to make with your children?